Friday, January 1, 2010

Operation: Use It or Lose It in 2010

I've been giving lots of thought to my resolutions for 2010. I started by thinking about who I am now and how I've changed over the years. In many ways, I feel more settled, I feel better about myself, and I feel like I "get" life more now. BUT, who has seen Idiocracy?





It's actually a bit of a dumb movie, but the premise really "spoke" to me when I saw it a couple years ago. In a nutshell, they say that man is getting dumber with each generation. Take, for example, coffee cups with the warning about hot coffee. Or maybe the stupid reality shows on tv (hiding my head in shame, since I watch them religiously!). They show a world where no one can actually think for themselves. They let other people think for them.

Why am I giving you a movie review? Because I feel this happening to me! When I was in high school and college, I always made time to write and read (for the fun of it! Gasp!). I sat and listened to music while in "deep thought." I played music. I actually did things to USE my brain. And now? Well, now I'm a slave to prime-time tv, I'm addicted to reading the latest on the Gosselin family trainwreck, and I have subscriptions to countless magazines because I can't seem to focus my attention on finishing a book. I'm letting my brain ROT!

SO, I want to commit to using my brain AND my heart AND my body in the ways they were meant. I sure don't want to set myself up for failure, though, so I don't want to be too ambitious. I'm going to break it up into manageable pieces and take baby steps. I'm hoping to be able to record my successes and failures here and ideally look back at this day next year and say, "Yeah, I really made progress."

Stay tuned...I have a radical (for me!) experiment coming up very soon. It's going to rock my world (and hopefully yours too!).

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck, D!! I think we are always trying to reinvent ourselves! A new year gives us a reason to do so!!

    ReplyDelete