Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm twitching!



I'll get to how Adam Sandler relates to this post in a minute... :-)


Last night was easy without tv...we played Wii with my in-laws. I know what you're thinking--"cheater, that's tv!" BUT, I justified it because the whole reason I'm doing this is to avoid the trap of tv shows that are rotting my brain. The wii is fun and we had some family bonding time. So there. Neener neener neener!

Anyway, now that my husband is having a boys' night and I'm home by myself, I'm getting those twitches of withdrawal I was worried about. Sure, I have my books, but I've been reading sooo much this week and I just want to watch a chick flick, eat junk, and snuggle with the dogs. I'll see how long I can take this reading stuff. (Wink, wink!)

Speaking of reading, I'm almost done with Fast Food Nation. If you're at all interested in where your food comes from, this is a must-read. However, if you're not interested in changing what you eat on a daily basis, don't read this book. I'm planning on making some fairly drastic changes in my food choices because of what I read. While the book wasn't quite as captivating as a novel, I became more and more curious as I continued to read. The book has presented me with information about the food industry that disgusted me to the point where I'm rethinking my eating. I feel like I'm so overwhelmed at how little I'd be able to eat if I listened to the author of the book, that I want to throw up my hands & just give up. But instead, I think I'll prioritize the ethical violations I feel most strongly about and boycott those. With that said, I'll most likely be swearing off red meat. At least for now...I can always add more later.
I have another book about the food industry, but I'm going to give my mind a break from the topic while I mull over the information I've learned. In the meantime, I'm going to move onto a more entertaining book.

Between this book and an article that a friend passed on, I'm having quite a bit of internal conflict. Let me explain more. The article my friend sent me was about how a local store trashes their clothes instead of donates them. In fact, they trash them so "well" that they are completely destroyed. It's such a waste, on so many levels. So now I feel like I can't shop at stores who engage in such unethical practices. I was naive to think that stores don't all just donate what they can't sell.

I'm finally learning more about corporate culture and greed and what it's doing to our country. I can't live in my own little bubble anymore and pretend these things don't happen. Especially if I want to have kids someday and raise them in this world.

So here's where this comes back to Adam Sandler...remember the line from Billy Madison? "Businessss Ethicsss?"

That's it. I just want you to remember a funny movie after all my serious stuff. :-)

2 comments:

  1. D, I rarely watch tv. There are so many nice things to discover without the tube on.

    I am going to check our your latest read. I really don't need any more challenges in the kitchen between severe allergies with the kids and a picky 20 month old (all while trying to plan balanced meals that are healthful) but it sounds interesting. What is your other book about food?

    Fun blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April! The other food book is Eating Animals by Jonathan Foer (I know the last name is right, but I don't have the book right here to confirm the first name). A couple other books recommended, that I'll get to eventually, are The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (a highly acclaimed author on the subject) and The Food Revolution by John Robbins. Unfortunately, of the reviews I've read for all of the above books, none of them really, truly provide solutions, just food for thought (sorry, couldn't resist!).

    ReplyDelete