Tuesday, January 5, 2010

One day down, six more to go...

Wow, this no-tv thing is nuts. How am I going to do this for a WHOLE week?!

I'm learning some very important things about myself and my tv habits, though.

1. I watch about 30-40 hours of tv in an average week, where I have stuff to do and I'm working, but not constantly on the go.

2. My husband & I spend much of our together time in front of the tv. I barely saw him last night because he was enjoying some of my favorite shows ("How I Met Your Mother," "Big Bang Theory") while I was reading.

3. The dogs rely on me to lounge around so they can relax. I was working on a scrapbook last night in the dining room and they sat there and looked at me the whole time. Like they were thinking, "What's wrong with mommy? We need to get her some help! Daaaadddyyy!! Mommy's broken!" Oakley barked at me. A lot.

4. I may come to loathe this "experiment," but I really do think it's good for me. I'll be learning guitar tonight & grocery shopping. :-)

5. I've grown up with my life revolving around tv. When I was a child, I remember my mom turning on the tv as soon as we came in the door and it was always on, for "noise." I remember having to finish my homework by 8p so I could watch my shows and eat my snack (that's another addiction, but for another day!). There were at least one to three shows I just had to watch every night. And I've continued those habits through the years. When I lived by myself, the tv was a constant. It helped me avoid those little "bumps in the night" that might scare me. When I go upstairs to clean or whatever, I immediately turn the tv on. It's not that any of this is wrong or bad, but it's something I never thought about and would like to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment