Monday, January 4, 2010

Radical idea!


By George, I think I've got it! A great way to kick off my Use It or Lose It resolution. This is the radical idea I mentioned the other day. Here it is...wait for it, wait for it...

I'm not going to watch tv for an entire week!

Yes, for some of you, that's nothing, but for me? For me, this could very well be some sort of awful, terrible torture. I could very possibly end up in a straightjacket by the end of the week. I'm not even exaggerating. You know how some people give things up for lent? And often it's something easy, like pop when they're not even a pop-drinker. Then occasionally, you hear someone say they're giving up something drastic, like sweets. THAT would be even worse than giving up tv, but I can't jump into that one yet. I tried the South Beach diet for two days, went through sugar withdrawal, gave up and got a DQ blizzard.

Why oh why am I doing this? I think this will help me break my addiction to tv. And I read about a lady doing this for a magazine article a few years ago and it intrigued me. So I made up my mind to "just do it."

I will leave the DVR set up the way it is, so I may watch my beloved shows next week, if I want to do that.

Day One:
Today is the first day of this groundbreaking experiment. I was feeling life was a bit quiet this morning when I got ready without the tv. (Radio isn't off-limits, but I didn't have it on, either.)

Then I walked outside, and crap! We got 4 inches of snow! I shoveled the walk, tried to drive to work, then turned around and came back. When I got home, I turned on the tv because surely, there would be some serious coverage of this massive snowstorm, right? They showed the Pittsburgh area and the roads were wet and they barely got any snow. BUT, our area schools were closed. So, I bent the rules a little bit, but it was because I thought the world was ending, and that the snow would be up to our roof by dinner. It won't.

So far, I haven't done well, but that'll change! I won't cheat anymore, I swear it! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Gah! Godo luck to you, brave woman. I can't wait to read how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Dori! This does seem easy in theory, but I bet it will prove to be more difficult than you might think. Good luck! I am curious to read as the week goes on!

    ReplyDelete